Thursday, March 10, 2011

I don't understand!

Some nights, in the middle of the night, Sutton just cries, and cries, and cries! It's heartbreaking and terrible. I don't know what to do! He's tired, I know this. First, because it's usually somewhere between 2 and 4am. Second, because when he calms down enough to not be screaming, he's yawning.

Back when he was younger (like 3-7 weeks old), I thought it was a dairy issue. But I cut out all dairy for 3 weeks and saw no change. Then, ironically, I added dairy back in and he had a few really good weeks (like 7-10 weeks old). Probably once or twice a week now, we have a REALLY BAD NIGHT! Last night for example, he was up around 2:15 and it wasn't until 4:30 that he finally settled and slept again. He went from screaming, to moaning, to almost asleep and waking up screaming again. And the ENTIRE time I was either nursing him, holding him upright, holding him in a cradle position, patting his bum in his bed, nursing him again, swaying and pacing while patting his bum, walking, rocking, swinging, shushing, nursing again (of which after a couple time he wanted nothing to do with me), rubbing his back, playing with his hair, we had a sound machine on, I tried his "tv" (a sound, light, motion crib toy which this half way worked, but only made him nice and awake). I think after 2 1/2 hours, he was finally exhausted enough that he passed back out.

I hate not being able to help my baby. I hate that he finally fell back to sleep from pure exhaustion, rather than me being able to comfort him. Most nights, he will eat and go back to sleep. But nights like this, suck. And they happen tooooo often. He was miserable, I was miserable. It makes me feel like a pretty crummy mom! :(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh girl you know you are NOT a bad mom. I wish i had some tips or ideas to help you. But i wanted you to know i was thinking about you and Sutton. I will be praying that the crying stops and you figure out what is bothering him VERY soon.

Liz said...

*BIG HUGS* It's not your fault, Michelle! You did everything motheringly possible - I know you know that already and it stinks to feel so helpless when your kiddo is unhappy. =( I hope it gets better, or you figure out what's going on so you can get some peace!